Please see below details of the new term of core ICTU Training Courses for circulation to your Branch Committees and representatives.
Trade Union Representatives Stage 1
10 Tuesdays, 18/01/22 – 29/03/22, (No Class 15/02/22)
The 10 day course for union reps and shop stewards focuses on the essential information, employment rights and skills that will be needed in the workplace including understanding union structures, representing members, grievance and discipline and negotiation at work.
Certificate in Employment Law
10 Wednesdays, 19/01/22 – 06/04/22, (NO CLASS 16/02/22 and 16/03/22)
This course aims to deepen the understanding of concepts raised in the stage 1 course and providing guidance on the practical application and development of rep’s skills.
The course includes:
- Employment Law for Trade Union Representatives
- Negotiating Employment Rights at Work
- Trade Union Approach to Employment Rights
Health and Safety Stage 1
10 Fridays, 21/01/22 – 01/04/22, (No Class 18/02/22)
This course is suitable for new health and safety reps or elected reps who have not yet been trained. It will cover the essential knowledge of the role and skills including organising and an understanding of health and safety legislation and how this can be interpreted for the workplace.
Health and Safety Stage 2
10 Thursdays, 20/01/22 – 07/04/22, (No Class 17/02/22 and 17/03/22)
This stage 2 course is a necessary progression for health and safety reps. Course content includes:
- Building a Safe and Healthy Workplace
- Trade Union Health and Safety Organisation
- Trade Unions Keeping up to date on Health and Safety
- Trade Unions Effecting Change in Health and Safety
- Health and Safety Representatives – Expanding Skills
Union Learning Representative Course
7 Mondays 31/01/22 – 21/03/22, (No Class 14/02/22)
This 7 day course is designed to introduce the role and rights of the ULR, provide the skills and knowledge the ULR will need to develop and support a culture of learning in the workplace. The course includes:
- Workplace Learning and the Union Learning Representative
- Equalities and Learning for Trade Unions
- Unions Addressing Learning Needs in the Workplace
- Union Learning Representative Role and Functions
- Unions Getting Organised to Promote Learning
- Union Learning Representatives – Skills
- Working with Employers and Education Providers
A training course application form and a special leave application are attached. It is also important that you seek time-off to attend from your employer at an early stage.
Confirmation of acceptance on your chosen course will be issued from ICTU.