Non-violent forms of domestic violence and abuse can be just as damaging as physical violence. Financial abuse is one such form
A new Financial Abuse Guidance produced by the Belfast Area Domestic and Sexual Violence and Abuse Partnership was officially launched on Thursday 1st December in Stormont.
Financial Abuse is....
A means of controlling a person's money and resources with the intention of increasing their dependency on the other person. Financial abuse can take many forms including:
- Controlling money;
- Withholding money;
- Misspending money - gambling/ drinking etc;
- Restricting Access to money for necessities;
- Having to explain every expenditure;
- Forced into debt/ running up debt in your name;
- Forced to take responsibility for all the finances;
- Preventing you from earning your own money;
- Forcing you to be fraudulent;
- Not allowing benefits to be paid in your name